Sunday, November 7, 2010

Colorful Tribbles







I purchased a bag of miscellaneous yarn awhile back and in it was a bunch of fur yarn. I don't usually use it because it is so hard to work with. It ends up making big fuzzy knots and seems unusable for anything small. I have figured out a way to use it though that doesn't test my sanity. I am glad because it is such fun and interesting yarn I would hate for it to go to waste. The only way to use it for amigurumi is as a coat over something else so the stuffing doesn't end up falling out. You see the thing is to use fun fur you have to use a big hook to make it work and even then you still miss stitches. It is usually okay to miss stitches though because the nature of the fur hides them. So here is my version of a tribble or as my children call them fuzzies.

Body (use an f hook)

Rnd 1: 5 sc in a circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd 3: *1 sc then 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (15)
Rnd 4: *2 sc then 2 sc in next sc* repeat around (20)
Rnd 5-7: sc around (20)
Rnd 8: *2 sc, decrease* repeat around (15)
Rnd 9: *1 sc, decrease* repeat around (10)
Put in eyes and stuff. I like to stuff them with beans for weight.
Rnd 10: decrease around (5)
Cut thread. Weave through and close hole. Hide ends.

Fun Fur Coat (I used a K hook and crocheted very loosely)

Rnd 1: 5 sc in a circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd 3: 2 dc in each sc around (20)
Rnd 4: 17 dc, sc 2 and sl st last st
Cut thread and leave a long end to sew the fur coat onto the body.

Wrap the fur coat over the body and pull it up and just leave a little space for the eyes and sew it on. I use the fluffiest side since you can't see the stitches.
The first few I made I decided to give them feet and ears and tails. Be creative and make strange fluffy animals, or just leave them as a simple ball.

1 comment:

  1. I Love, Love, Love these guys. I, too, had a skein of fun fur yarn that I didn't know what to do with -- I've made 3 of these so far and am currently wishing I had more of the fun fur! lol. Thanks for this simple and cute idea!

    ReplyDelete